Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Best TV Comedy Programme


After a lot of research finally I found the winners: nothing but the news programmes aired by myriad of channels. Much better compared to the terrible PJs and nonsense presented by many of the 'real' comedy shows.


I don't want to make an unreasonable statement by mentioning news as worthless. In a strict sense it mainly 'that' part of the news which is often funny. You might have got the hint what I am thinking. Obviously it is the political news story which hilarious. It looks like the 'laughability factor' of this 'story' is rising these days.
How are you going to react to these?



  • After the recent victory in the vote of confidence, SP Gen. Sec. was alleged of bribing some BJP MPs at his house. Here goes the NDTV interview..
NDTV : Have you seen these 3 MPs in the last 48 hours?
Mr. Sec. : Err.. hmmm....(thinking what to say)I... I.. I .. don't remember. See I see 500 people a day. How can you ask such questions? (I thought politicians are experts in lying. I was proved wrong . What a conspicuous lie!!)





  • Bandhs,Hartals and protests are integral part of life for anyone stays in Kerala. Do you believe this? There is one education department's office where protest march happens everyday and you have to submit a written request to get a slot for your protest. Turn on any mallu channel; at least ten times a day you can see group of people cladded in white, red or saffron clothes marching with placards and banners and shouting at the top of their voices. For whom?



  • Recently there was a state-wide agitation in Kerala against the new social science text book of 7th standard. It had some secular statements in a chapter which turned out to be controversial when religious leaders intervened. Books were publicly burned. Only one good thing happened: people who never touched a book while in school read something first time in their life. I could watch people holding these books, tearing into pieces and throwing to fire.



  • Some maths. No. of days in a year =365, No. of holidays for a Kerala state owned school=104(Sat and Sun)+60(Summer)+20(Xmas and Onam)+10(Misc), 3 exams a year=30 days. So there are only 141 regular classes(Approx 4.5 months). Now assume 2 protests per month(May not be upto the standards. Sometimes 4 or 5 also). Another month is gone. This is the fate of layman's children. I remember the happy faces of students when the news reader announces that all educational institutes are closed today schools are closed today because of the Bundh protesting the arrest of oppostion party leader's father-in-law. (Looks silly? Belive me ,there sillier issues also)



  • Apart from politics, other 'items' include live coverage of Khan Vs. Khan dirty fight and debates over the same for hours during prime time over and again. Still feeling unsatisfied, some channels showed highlights continuously for a week. Remember the Shilpa Shetty-Big Brother controversy? I stopped watching TV for a month that time :)

Thanks to the overwhelming growth of visual media. Is the difference between news channel and entertainment channels becoming narrower?

2 comments:

AnuP Varghese said...

balu... kidilan...

Balu said...

Thanks for your support :)